THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cricket Summer 2021
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:07 pm 

The graphics on the screen during the game, both in terms of colour scheme and layout, are an absolute fucking abomination.

Looks like a sixth form graphics project. And not a very good one.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:09 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
I've seen the first few mens games in The Hundred competition but I've found them a hard watch.
I can cope with the format of the matches - I've seen plenty of T20, and shortened games of 5 or 10 overs, so it's not too dissimilar to those just with an extra layer of annoying gimmicks to cope with.
But, God, the presentation of it is bloody hard work. I'm really hating the way it's all put across - DJ's and half time music performances, and explanations of the rules and terms, just feels like I'm watching bloody NASL / early MLS games in America. Then there's way more presenters / commentators / intrusive pitch side interviews with fans and celebrities, etc, than is necessary. I know they're trying to push for a more diverse audience, so want that reflected in the presentation and coverage, but it leads to a lot of unnecessary and intrusive segments, interviews, music, etc, in order to crowbar so much in to appeal to the specific demographic that they're trying to attract.
The matches themselves are watchable - despite it continuing the 'dumbed down' trend of the modern era. But the whole hoopla around it is awful for me - not surprising, as I'm very specifically not the demographic they're aiming it at - and I've found myself mostly watching it with the sound off, and avoiding the build up and between innings parts. :|

It's a competition that wasn't really needed. The T20 format works so well around the world, I don't get the need to shorten it any more, and at the same time effectively downgrade the 50 over competition because any decent players are unavailable, and push any remaining red ball county cricket into September which doesn't help our test team.

A re-vamp of our T20 competition, bringing in more international stars and making it available to terrestrial tv too, was all that was needed.

I also don't like it that my favourite Worcestershire player isn't even playing for the Birmingham team - he's in the Trent team!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:46 pm 

I've given The Hundred a chance and watched a few games.
It really isn't any different to T20. Or at least it's doesn't appear to be a good alternative.
50 over games are generally exciting anyway. T20 as well.
This does seem to be one format too many.
I also find it weird that spinners seem to be the best choice of bowler. A couple of the games seemed to be heavily reliant on the slower ball for getting wickets and if that is the secret, it will make it pretty boring pretty quickly. Nobody wants to watch a match where 70% of balls bowled travel at <60mph :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:55 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Runyak Huntz wrote:
I've given The Hundred a chance and watched a few games.
It really isn't any different to T20. Or at least it's doesn't appear to be a good alternative.
50 over games are generally exciting anyway. T20 as well.
This does seem to be one format too many.
I also find it weird that spinners seem to be the best choice of bowler. A couple of the games seemed to be heavily reliant on the slower ball for getting wickets and if that is the secret, it will make it pretty boring pretty quickly. Nobody wants to watch a match where 70% of balls bowled travel at <60mph :lol:

Yep. Completely agree.
And, yeah, it's a shame about the ever increasing number of slow bowlers. I love watching genuine spin bowlers and big turners of the ball. But in these one dayers there's loads just taking the pace off the ball rather than really spinning it much and genuine fast bowlers are becoming a rarity as well.
That's the trouble when introducing rules / formats - tactics will always be adopted to gain advantage that works contrary to the initial introduction. And it's the same with the one dayers - no matter how much they reduce it to try and generate fast scoring entertainment - 60 overs, 50, 40, T20, now The Hundred - teams have worked out that taking more and more pace off the ball works best.

Yeh, they're harder to hit and harder to hit hard. If that makes sense.
It could be a massive flaw and one that is becoming apparent already. Although it's only 20 balls less than T20, because of the size of an 'over', it's the perfect way to stop someone scoring.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:52 pm 

It's costing me £1.50 an over to go to Lord's tomorrow. More if they don't get all 90 in.

If I'm lucky, England may actually bat in some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 pm 

£135 for my ticket today. India have batted very well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:13 pm 

dons50 wrote:

Same. Where are you? I'm Edrich Lower.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:15 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Grand Stand lower. Great seats.

Just got a call last night from someone who had a ticket but couldn’t make it. Very enjoyable day.

Last edited by dons50 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:22 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Lovely stuff. Rahul has been a joy to watch all day. Even when he started very slowly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:26 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Lovely stuff. Rahul has been a joy to watch all day. Even when he started very slowly.

Yes, quality.

Enjoy tomorrow. More of the same, I suspect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next