THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cricket Summer 2021
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:32 pm 

Tough day again for England only Burns has shown any form with the bat in these two games just got to hope Jimmy Anderson has the same conditions when he bowls as he could really enjoy himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pm 

This is a fairly makeshift England team, and New Zealand are bloody good (and despite making six changes, have greater strength in depth than us). I think what we've seen so far is about par for the course.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 pm 

I watched the whole day today. Putting aside England being wank... I had to admire NZ. Absolutely brilliant team. I really think they've got a chance against India next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 am 

I think the fact that Mark Wood, batting at number 9, was England's top scorer, tells you all you need to know about where England's batting is at the moment

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am 

Not surprised we lost but really a poor showing throughout that does nothing to support the current England strategies for selection and resting. Why do we always seem to be more worried about future games than the ones we are playing? I feel for the inexperienced players as they had little in the way of senior batsmen to help them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:42 am 

The worrying thing is that it's not going to get any easier to help build up confidence. India are next, followed by Australia in the winter!

Ben Stokes is a world class player who would improve any side, but it is worrying that we seem to be so reliant on him. He can't put in performances like the world cup final or the innings against the Aussies at Headingly every match

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:14 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Brilliant effort from two former England players tonight, for Notts v Worcs. Samit Patel bowled 3 overs in the power play, and his fourth at the death, and ended with figures of 4-1-4-3, to help limit Worcs to 86-8 from 20 overs - with just 2 boundaries in the whole innings. Notts then whacked the runs off within 6.2 overs to win by 10 wickets, with Alex Hales hitting 60 not out off 24 balls. That's as one sided, dominant display as I've ever seen in T20. And makes up for the previous match between them earlier in the season when Notts were 76-1 after the 6 power play overs, chasing just 152, and somehow ended up only tieing the game. :geek:

I don't want to talk about it :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:45 pm 

What do people think about the Test Championship being played in a neutral country? Rather than, say, at the home of the team who finishes top?
I know they've been unlucky that Covid logistics means they've gone to Southampton rather than Lords - it looks even stranger when it's not even at one of the neutral countries more famous Test grounds.
And they've been unlucky with the weather - I guess if it had been a good game with a positive result (still a bit of a chance of that on the 6th day), then there'd be more talk about the match than the venue.
But the fact it's mostly been rained off in a neutral country - traditionally probably the one that gets the most rain - and at quite a random ground in that country, does leave you wondering 'why the hell is it even being played here, thousands of miles from either country?' Whereas, if it was raining in New Zealand, at least you'd know exactly why it was being played there - because they'd finished top of the league and had earned the right to host the final.
I assume the thinking is to prevent the hosts preparing overly friendly conditions in their favour for the final - but that's what mostly happens in each Test series anyway, and I guess could just be seen as the reward for finishing top, and the obstacle to be overcome if you finish second? Unless it's for political reasons (Pakistan), then Test matches and neutral venues really don't go together imo. :geek:

It's a shame it couldn't be at Lord's, but I don't mind a neutral venue. A bit like the white ball world cups, final venue chosen before the start of the qualifying process, with a different country chosen each time to host. Perhaps the reward for finishing top of the league can be that you get to decide whether to bat or bowl first without a toss?

Like Atherton said yesterday, the format isn't perfect, but it's a good idea that can be tweaked in future years. Perhaps a semi final stage could be introduced, although with test cricket that risks it going on too long for most people (I also think the 50 over world Cup goes on too long).

For this year's final, if they needed a ground with hotel on site, Old Trafford would have been a better choice. Much better known as a venue worldwide, although probably also more likely to rain!

Well done to New Zealand. Very good side, decent people, and well deserved victory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:54 pm 

What do people think about the Test Championship being played in a neutral country? Rather than, say, at the home of the team who finishes top?
I know they've been unlucky that Covid logistics means they've gone to Southampton rather than Lords - it looks even stranger when it's not even at one of the neutral countries more famous Test grounds.
And they've been unlucky with the weather - I guess if it had been a good game with a positive result (still a bit of a chance of that on the 6th day), then there'd be more talk about the match than the venue.
But the fact it's mostly been rained off in a neutral country - traditionally probably the one that gets the most rain - and at quite a random ground in that country, does leave you wondering 'why the hell is it even being played here, thousands of miles from either country?' Whereas, if it was raining in New Zealand, at least you'd know exactly why it was being played there - because they'd finished top of the league and had earned the right to host the final.
I assume the thinking is to prevent the hosts preparing overly friendly conditions in their favour for the final - but that's what mostly happens in each Test series anyway, and I guess could just be seen as the reward for finishing top, and the obstacle to be overcome if you finish second? Unless it's for political reasons (Pakistan), then Test matches and neutral venues really don't go together imo. :geek:

I think the problem lies in scheduling. The cricket calendar is badly congested enough as it is so the final has to be played at a very specific time of year. And England is one of only a very small number of places that could host international cricket at this time of year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:22 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

I think the problem lies in scheduling. The cricket calendar is badly congested enough as it is so the final has to be played at a very specific time of year. And England is one of only a very small number of places that could host international cricket at this time of year.

I guess the plan was to play the final at Lord’s. It’s not so much the country, more the iconic venue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next