THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:04 am 

Yesterday was 20 years since Schalke won the Bundesliga... for four minutes.

BBC Sport have had a remarkable outbreak of common sense and run this absolutely brilliant feature on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57087325

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:28 pm 

Great thread!

Bit of drama in the last week in the Irish Cup semi-final between Crusaders and Larne.

Crusaders keeper was sent off during a penalty shootout after the ref warned him numerous times about coming off his line. To add to the drama he saved 3 pens in a row with each being retaken before his eventual marching orders. Larne went on to win the tie but Crusaders are seeking legal advice as they believe the refs got things wrong.

Story about it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57163684

Side note - Mark Randell currently plays for Larne and Ben Tinley is also on their books but is out on loan at another Irish Prem club Portadown.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:46 am 

A Chinese division 2 side's owner forced his manager to play his overweight, devoid of skill son. Safe to say the guy is rubbish, but is the roaming midfielder and takes all free kicks, corners, etc.

It's hilarious to watch!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:23 am 

SteelbackDon wrote:
A Chinese division 2 side's owner forced his manager to play his overweight, devoid of skill son. Safe to say the guy is rubbish, but is the roaming midfielder and takes all free kicks, corners, etc.

It's hilarious to watch!

And also isn't true.
Turns out it was actually one of the club's board members and it was the teams last game before being dissolved.

This is a good video explaining it.
https://youtu.be/Y4QIyEq3yEA

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm 

Gandi_Olfston wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:

It's hilarious to watch!

And also isn't true.
Turns out it was actually one of the club's board members and it was the teams last game before being dissolved.

This is a good video explaining it.
https://youtu.be/Y4QIyEq3yEA

AHHHH well I got suckered completely by twitter!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:53 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Extending it to Cricket for a post (or maybe it could be a thread for any Sporting story of note), I think Darren Stevens deserves a bit of recognition on here today.

He's still performing really well as an all-rounder in County Cricket at 45 years old (named as one of Wisden's 5 Cricketers of the Year this year - oldest player in 88 years to get it). And, today, he scored 190 to rescue Kent from 128-8 with a partnership of 166 - in which the number ten batsmen contributed just 1 run. Which is the highest first-class partnership in which one player scored more than 90% of the runs.

For a number of years he was just a decent but inconsistent batsman who rarely bowled and was released by Leicestershire, aged 28. It was only then, after joining Kent, that he became a regular bowler as well as middle order batter. And it's amazing that, 17 years on, he's still performing at such a high level, aged 45, as an opening bowler and number 6/7 batsman. :geek:

Wow! I tend to only follow test cricket, so I'm not familiar with Darren. But that's an amazing story. I'd love to know what flicked the switch in his head, to enable the transformation (it surely has to be a mental change?).

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:22 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Extending it to Cricket for a post (or maybe it could be a thread for any Sporting story of note), I think Darren Stevens deserves a bit of recognition on here today.

He's still performing really well as an all-rounder in County Cricket at 45 years old (named as one of Wisden's 5 Cricketers of the Year this year - oldest player in 88 years to get it). And, today, he scored 190 to rescue Kent from 128-8 with a partnership of 166 - in which the number ten batsmen contributed just 1 run. Which is the highest first-class partnership in which one player scored more than 90% of the runs.

For a number of years he was just a decent but inconsistent batsman who rarely bowled and was released by Leicestershire, aged 28. It was only then, after joining Kent, that he became a regular bowler as well as middle order batter. And it's amazing that, 17 years on, he's still performing at such a high level, aged 45, as an opening bowler and number 6/7 batsman. :geek:

Wow! I tend to only follow test cricket, so I'm not familiar with Darren. But that's an amazing story. I'd love to know what flicked the switch in his head, to enable the transformation (it surely has to be a mental change?).

There's an interesting article about him here... :geek:

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/kent/darren_stevens_story_kent_cricket_interview.html

A great read, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:18 am 

This happened about a month ago, but just in case anyone missed it while it was only in County cricket - here's a 'ball of the century' style delivery from Lancashire's Matt Parkinson...

https://youtu.be/BF60E8Qry6s

I'd have creamed that for 4, against the spin. ;)

Seriously, an epic ball. Unplayable.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:15 pm 

50 year old winning a major?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am 

dons50 wrote:
50 year old winning a major?

That'll never happen.

Oh....

;)