THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
I'm beginning to doubt that it can be saved, other than the odd test played almost as a curiosity. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Depressingly poor turn out for the South Africa v Australia first test. It was a good match between the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams but hardly any bugger turned up to watch. Yet they say Durban always sells out for one-dayers.
Sadly familiar story.

I saw a clip of Jacques Kallis during the game and I genuinely think an argument can be made for him being the greatest cricketer of all time. He's certainly right up there. And was the best ever all rounder.
I think because he was so good at batting (over 13,000 runs, averaging 55) he's almost remembered as a batsman who was a useful bowler. But he ended with almost 300 Test wickets and almost 300 one-day wickets, stats that many bowlers would be delighted to end their career with.
He is the only player in cricket to have scored more than 10,000 runs, and taken over 200 wickets, in both formats.
Add to that he was a great catcher in the slips then he really was a great all-rounder.
Maybe it's because he was less flamboyant than many greats, or because South Africa get less attention than the "big three" of India, England, and Australia, but I feel like one of, if not the, greatest players of all time often goes under the radar and doesn't fully get the acknowledgement for his amazing career.

Greatest cricketer of all time? Kallis has a shout for second. Nobody is close to the Don.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
I'm beginning to doubt that it can be saved, other than the odd test played almost as a curiosity. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Depressingly poor turn out for the South Africa v Australia first test. It was a good match between the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams but hardly any bugger turned up to watch. Yet they say Durban always sells out for one-dayers.
Sadly familiar story.

I saw a clip of Jacques Kallis during the game and I genuinely think an argument can be made for him being the greatest cricketer of all time. He's certainly right up there. And was the best ever all rounder.
I think because he was so good at batting (over 13,000 runs, averaging 55) he's almost remembered as a batsman who was a useful bowler. But he ended with almost 300 Test wickets and almost 300 one-day wickets, stats that many bowlers would be delighted to end their career with.
He is the only player in cricket to have scored more than 10,000 runs, and taken over 200 wickets, in both formats.
Add to that he was a great catcher in the slips then he really was a great all-rounder.
Maybe it's because he was less flamboyant than many greats, or because South Africa get less attention than the "big three" of India, England, and Australia, but I feel like one of, if not the, greatest players of all time often goes under the radar and doesn't fully get the acknowledgement for his amazing career.

Greatest cricketer of all time? Kallis has a shout for second. Nobody is close to the Don.

Greatest batsman - undisputably. Greatest cricketer? I think others maybe have a claim there. Warne for one. Kallis is another good shout.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Sadly familiar story.

Greatest batsman - undisputably. Greatest cricketer? I think others maybe have a claim there. Warne for one. Kallis is another good shout.

There isn’t a bowler averaging 50% better than the next best.

Bradman’s record is just so far ahead of everyone else. I don’t think there’s any other comparison in any sport.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Sadly familiar story.

Bradman’s record is just so far ahead of everyone else. I don’t think there’s any other comparison in any sport.

I'm happy enough for Kallis to be in the mix. Just think he gets overlooked.
I think you're probably right about Bradman. My only slight issue with his amazing stats is that he played at a time when cricket was pretty much like the Boat Race and only had two teams (37 of his 52 Tests were against England). Whereas Warne and Kallis, probably the other two in the top three, had to play a lot in Asia. And Kallis did it with both bat and ball.
But, hey, I'm not going to belittle the amazing achievements of any of the three. Personally, I would put them joint top:
Bradman as best batsman ever.
Warne best bowler.
Kallis best all rounder.
And I couldn't choose between them.
Three true legends.

Greatest fast bowler? Lillee? Holding? Marshall? Akram? Trueman? Roberts? McGrath? Anderson? Waqar?

Sure I’ve missed some!

Personally, I’d go for Marshall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:21 am 

dons50 wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Sadly familiar story.

I'm happy enough for Kallis to be in the mix. Just think he gets overlooked.
I think you're probably right about Bradman. My only slight issue with his amazing stats is that he played at a time when cricket was pretty much like the Boat Race and only had two teams (37 of his 52 Tests were against England). Whereas Warne and Kallis, probably the other two in the top three, had to play a lot in Asia. And Kallis did it with both bat and ball.
But, hey, I'm not going to belittle the amazing achievements of any of the three. Personally, I would put them joint top:
Bradman as best batsman ever.
Warne best bowler.
Kallis best all rounder.
And I couldn't choose between them.
Three true legends.

Greatest fast bowler? Lillee? Holding? Marshall? Akram? Trueman? Roberts? McGrath? Anderson? Waqar?

Sure I’ve missed some!

Personally, I’d go for Marshall.

I loved watching Marshall. But I'd go for Larwood, partly based on fact and partly to wind up the Aussies. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 am 

dons50 wrote:
Sure I've missed some!
Personally, I'd go for Marshall.

That's a great question and a great list.
It also highlights that there has been no obvious best ever fast bowler as there's little to choose between any of them.
I'd say the same about wicketkeepers.

I think as most of the others benefitted from raw pace, then Glenn McGrath's amazing accuracy stands out.
But I genuinely can't choose between them based on ability, so I'm just going to go for my favourite to watch which was definitely Wasim Akram.
I think others probably have a better case for the best ever title but I loved his partnership with Waqar Younis and as I also have a soft spot for Lancashire at county level he was their overseas bowler for years and provided some great bowling spells for them in the 90's.
He bowled an awful lot of no balls, which in the modern match fixing times would raise many questioning eyebrows, but he was incredible to watch.

Those two as a pair, when the ball was reverse swinging, were almost unplayable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm 

Wisden did the top 100 cricketers of the 20th century, asking 100 former test cricketers, writers and historians to nominate five each. The top ten were:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
(Then a big gap in votes)
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
6. Lillee and Worrell (joint)
8. Hammond
9. Compton
10. Hadlee and Imran Khan (joint)

Some statisticians did an all-time list taking into account opposition, the state of the match, result etc when they did their good performances, and Grace came top. But he was considered mostly 19th century so not in the above list.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:09 pm 

I love reading stuff like this. Having only really watched cricket for seven or eight years, I get to find out about all these mythical old players. Just like when I grew up watching F1 and my dad told me all about James Hunt and Ayrton Senna.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm 

Sausage wrote:
Wisden did the top 100 cricketers of the 20th century, asking 100 former test cricketers, writers and historians to nominate five each. The top ten were:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
(Then a big gap in votes)
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
6. Lillee and Worrell (joint)
8. Hammond
9. Compton
10. Hadlee and Imran Khan (joint)

Some statisticians did an all-time list taking into account opposition, the state of the match, result etc when they did their good performances, and Grace came top. But he was considered mostly 19th century so not in the above list.

Actually, Grace is a great call - probably topping Sir Don. See CLR James...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
I love reading stuff like this. Having only really watched cricket for seven or eight years, I get to find out about all these mythical old players. Just like when I grew up watching F1 and my dad told me all about James Hunt and Ayrton Senna.

I'm 100 years old and still feel like that about cricket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next