THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 pm 

Sausage wrote:
Wisden did the top 100 cricketers of the 20th century, asking 100 former test cricketers, writers and historians to nominate five each. The top ten were:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
(Then a big gap in votes)
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
6. Lillee and Worrell (joint)
8. Hammond
9. Compton
10. Hadlee and Imran Khan (joint)

Some statisticians did an all-time list taking into account opposition, the state of the match, result etc when they did their good performances, and Grace came top. But he was considered mostly 19th century so not in the above list.

How many of the above played in the FA cup final?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:42 am 

dons50 wrote:
Sausage wrote:
Wisden did the top 100 cricketers of the 20th century, asking 100 former test cricketers, writers and historians to nominate five each. The top ten were:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
8. Hammond
9. Compton

Some statisticians did an all-time list taking into account opposition, the state of the match, result etc when they did their good performances, and Grace came top. But he was considered mostly 19th century so not in the above list.

How many of the above played in the FA cup final?

That would be No. 9.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 am 

Again off topic - but only 5 weeks till the start of the County Cricket season :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:13 am 

Sausage wrote:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
8. Hammond
9. Compton

How many of the above played in the football world cup?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:18 am 

Sausage wrote:
Sausage wrote:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
8. Hammond
9. Compton

How many of the above played in the football world cup?

One.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:32 am 

Sausage wrote:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
8. Hammond
9. Compton

Which of the above was born with six digits on each hand?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:39 am 

Apparently CB Fry’s party trick was to stand with his back to a large fireplace (think stately home) and do a backflip, ending up standing on the mantle piece!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:16 pm 

Sausage wrote:
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Hobbs
4. Warne
5. Viv Richards
8. Hammond
9. Compton

Which one of these played league football for Bristol Rovers?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:50 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Would any team in history have won a series against the West Indies team of the late 70s and early 80s?

Four deadly quicks plus Greenidge, Haynes, Viv and Clive Lloyd.

They didn't lose a series between 1979/80 and 1994/94

Fancy facing any four from:

Holding
Roberts
Marshall
Croft
Garner
Daniel
Clarke
Ambrose
Walsh
Bishop

I mentioned on another thread about watching Curtly Ambrose play in the early 90's and getting to meet him after the days play and just how huge he was. It must have been frightening enough to face him on his own, let alone as part of a group of deadly quicks.
Then, today, I was reading about the great West Indies teams of old, and saw the bruises on Brian Close again; and I was reminded of this picture of John Edrich when a fan ran on the pitch in 1976 and presented him with a huge bat when he and Close were facing another pounding from the Windies bowlers and regularly being hit. It was after this frightening barrage that helmets becoming compulsory.

I was there that day at Old Trafford. Scary stuff for a 10 year old to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:33 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
I'm glad they've got helmets now, but I wish there was more examples of that kind of fiery bowling.
We've had Alan Donald v Mike Atherton; and Mitchell Johnson throughout the 2013/14 Ashes series. But they're incredibly rare nowadays, and no entire attack of frightening pace like the Windies of old. And with so much emphasis on T20 I can't see it returning which is a shame.

We do see bowlers that fast. It doesn’t look the same because over the years batsmen have learned how to play them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next