THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am 

Mike Denness. Scottish born and went on to captain England I believe.

Mike Denness, who has died of cancer aged 72, was an immaculate cricketer, the first Scot to captain England, whose record of almost 26,000 runs was achieved with an elegance as pleasing to the eye as that of any batsman of his time. He was known for graceful drives to the offside, but was also a deft and twinkle-footed player of spin, and a brilliant cover fieldsman. Fourteen times he made 1,000 runs in an English season, and once abroad; he played 28 Test matches between 1969 and 1975, 19 of them as captain, and his win-loss ratio left him in credit.

Last edited by SOUTHSTANDER on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:28 pm 

Flintoff's "Mind the windows Tino", followed by Tino Best coming down the wicket to the King of Spain with a big swing of the bat, missing it completely and being stumped :lol:

Jimmy Anderson playing his trademark Reverse Sweep to any spin bowler

Botham "couldn't get his leg over". "Oh stop it Aggers!"

Stuart Broad's 8 for 15 at Trent Bridge against Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:33 pm 

I am admittedly a relative newcomer to cricket. But I had the privilege of being at Lord's for the last day against New Zealand in 2015. Never heard an atmosphere like it when Stokes took McCullum's middle stump out first ball. Or when Moeen took a difficult catch in front of the Tavern to win it.

Bloody brilliant day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:39 pm 

West Indies needing 340 in the last innings at Lords (1984, I think) and getting them for 1 with Greenidge scoring 200. Brilliant innings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:41 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Most memorable moments in Test Cricket: Bodyline, Botham's Ashes, Warne's ball of the century...

Worthy of a thread of it's own.

My personal faves (and these are all ones during my life that either I saw live, or on radio/TV etc):

Botham's Ashes
Warne's Ball of the Century (it broke the laws of physics!)
Everytime I saw Malcolm Marshall bowl
Everytime I saw David Gower bat (yes, yes, wafting outside the line blah blah - but he was beautiful to watch)
2005 Ashes
Devon Malcolm vs Saffers at the Oval in 1994
Atherton v Allan Donald (same series? I can't remember but I couldn't forget that duel)
Mike Gatting, being interviewed on TV, after a WIndies ball had flattened his nose and gave him two magnificent shiners, being asked "Mike, where did the ball hit you?"

By the way, Keyser, I agree with all of your list.

Yeah, pretty much includes all the ones I'd pick. The Atherton - Donald dual was epic: still remember Boucher jumping when Donald appeared behind him. It was only to console him for dropping a catch but Boucher looked petrified which help sum up just how intimidating Donald really was.
A couple of others: when Gooch scored 333 v India and then India needed 24 to avoid follow on with 1 wkt left and with the great Kapil Dev at one end and the hopeless number 11 Hirwani at the other. KD knew Hirwani wouldn't last long and he hit the last 4 balls of Eddie Hemmings over for six to avoid follow on. Then Hirwani was bowled his very first ball! England still won so that made it even better.
Also, when New Zealand needed over 500 v England and Nathan Astle whacked 222 off hundred and odd balls and one of my favourite cricketers, Chris Cairns, limped out on one leg at number 11 and they got it down to under hundred to win. One of the few times I was actually disappointed when England got the winning wicket I was enjoying it so much.
Finally, watching Wasim and Waqar bowl as a pair for Pakistan (As a Lancashire fan in county cricket, Wasim Akram also contributed some legendary moments as overseas player for them for a number of years. What a bowler to watch!).

Agree about Wasim and Waqar. When it reverse swung they were deadly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:32 pm 

Agree with just about every post on here. Some fantastic memories.

Another one - Everytime I saw Jonty Rhodes fielding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:04 pm 

Would any team in history have won a series against the West Indies team of the late 70s and early 80s?

Four deadly quicks plus Greenidge, Haynes, Viv and Clive Lloyd.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:30 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Would any team in history have won a series against the West Indies team of the late 70s and early 80s?

Just looked it up. They didn't lose a series between 1979/80 and 1994/94

Did anyone watch them at Manor Fields in 1980 and 1984?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:36 pm 

dons50 wrote:

Australia of the Punter, McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist era would have to be the closest. Would love to have seen that. But that WI team is probably the greatest ever. Cricket's version of Brazil '70.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:45 pm 

One slight aside.

Myself and my buddies have just been planning our annual trip to HQ next year (need to book tickets early). The buffoons at the ECB had already cocked it up by failing to arrange a Lords test in July, which is traditional. So we opted for India at Lords in August. But they have just announced the price - £110!!! This year it was £85 which, if I recall, was a substantial increase on 2016.

It seems rather than turn around the dwindling audiences for test cricket, they've taken the easier route of milking the Lords cash-cow. Bastards. :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next