THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Would any team in history have won a series against the West Indies team of the late 70s and early 80s?

Four deadly quicks plus Greenidge, Haynes, Viv and Clive Lloyd.

Australia of the Punter, McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist era would have to be the closest. Would love to have seen that. But that WI team is probably the greatest ever. Cricket's version of Brazil '70.

Fancy facing any four from:

Holding
Roberts
Marshall
Croft
Garner
Daniel
Clarke
Ambrose
Walsh
Bishop

Have I missed any?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:15 pm 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Would any team in history have won a series against the West Indies team of the late 70s and early 80s?

Four deadly quicks plus Greenidge, Haynes, Viv and Clive Lloyd.

Australia of the Punter, McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist era would have to be the closest. Would love to have seen that. But that WI team is probably the greatest ever. Cricket's version of Brazil '70.

Fancy facing any four from:

Holding
Roberts
Marshall
Croft
Garner
Daniel
Clarke
Ambrose
Walsh
Bishop

Have I missed any?

I crapped myself just reading the list, let alone facing them!

I think mere mortals often don't realise just how fast and intimidating true quicks can be. To set it in context, a guy I knew who was a moderate village cricketer faced Botham in his pomp at a charity game. Now, as we know, Botham was a fast medium, not a true quick. And he ran in (if you can call it that) at my man off only two steps, being very gentle to the locals, in the name of charity. "Fuck me he was quick!" says my guy. Imagine the full force of Michael Holding or Andy Roberts! Gulp!!

I watched Devon Malcolm at a charity game at Campbell Park in the Summer. Again, just a charity game and he's no spring chicken. But the ball still moved unbelievably fast. A special skill.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:27 pm 

In more recent years....

Cook, Strauss and Trott scoring 500+ for 1 wicket to turn around the series in Australia in 2010/11
KP deciding the best way to play for the required draw in the last test of 2005 was to keep hitting sixes
Last pair Anderson and Monty batting out the last 20-ish overs for a draw at Cardiff in a later Ashes
Swann and Monty out-bowling the Indian twirlers on their own grounds in about 2012
Stokes classy ton in his debut series, in a losing cause at Perth in 2013
Moeen’s hat-trick against the Saffers

Just thought I’d redress the balance after D50’s enjoyment of anyone-but-England, particularly against England, a bit like his anyone-but-Dons. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:34 pm 

Sausage wrote:
In more recent years....

Cook, Strauss and Trott scoring 500+ for 1 wicket to turn around the series in Australia in 2010/11
KP deciding the best way to play for the required draw in the last test of 2005 was to keep hitting sixes
Last pair Anderson and Monty batting out the last 20-ish overs for a draw at Cardiff in a later Ashes
Swann and Monty out-bowling the Indian twirlers on their own grounds in about 2012

Just thought I’d redress the balance after D50’s enjoyment of anyone-but-England, particularly against England, a bit like his anyone-but-Dons. ;)

Sorry! West Indies were so dominant during my formative years!

I did quote Bob Willis’s 8 wickets at Headingley in 1981. As important as Botham.

Thorpe in the dusk winning a test match in Karachi.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:01 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Sausage wrote:
In more recent years....

Sorry! West Indies were so dominant during my formative years!

I did quote Bob Willis’s 8 wickets at Headingley in 1981. As important as Botham.

Thorpe in the dusk winning a test match in Karachi.

Leodon Senior has reminded me we were at the England v Windies Test at Headingley in 2000. All over by Friday afternoon - Caddick took 5 for 14, Gough 4 for 30. Windies 61 all out. Brian Lara made 4 in the first innings and 2 in the second and Vaughan was our highest scorer with 76.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:47 pm 

Before my time but I had a schoolteacher who told me he bunked off school when he was a lad and watched one of the days at Old Trafford when Jim Laker took 19 wickets v Australia.

Imagine that. Tony lock is at the other end and can only take one wicket whilst Laker cleans up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 pm 

Not a test but a one day. Lamb & De Freitas vs Australia at the SCG in '87. Lamb hit 18 in the first 5 balls of the last over to win. Lovely.

A bit like Lamb vs Courtney Walsh later that year (or was it a year after?). I thnk Walsh cried. His tears fed me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:08 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Not a test but a one day. Lamb & De Freitas vs Australia at the SCG in '87. Lamb hit 18 in the first 5 balls of the last over to win. Lovely.

A bit like Lamb vs Courtney Walsh later that year (or was it a year after?). I thnk Walsh cried. His tears fed me.

it was the beginning of nations focusing more on one-dayers and less on Test Matches.

I hope that never happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:31 am 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

I loved it (but) it was the beginning of nations focusing more on one-dayers and less on Test Matches.

I hope that never happens.

A further step in that direction...
Alex Hales and Adil Rashid have announced they are only going to play one day cricket for their counties this year, not 4-day cricket. Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan haven't announced anything but they've pretty much been doing that for the last few years anyway.
Most of the best West Indies cricketers just play Twenty20 around the world, while other nations Test players are retiring every earlier to have an extended few years playing IPL, etc.
There's only two nations that get a good crowd for Test Matches - England and Australia. While one-day and Twenty20 games are well attended everywhere.
The modern world just doesn't have the concentration span to appreciate how great a 5-day Test match can be.
I'm worried for poor old Test Cricket.
It's becoming an anachronism, clinging on by its fingernails

On that - and yes I'm quoting my own post, but so what? - We had a relative visit from Canada a few years back and I was watching a Test Match and when I explained to him that it was day three of a five day match he was amazed. When he asked me who was winning and I said 'Its too early to tell' he was even more amazed. He then went to visit other relatives. When I next saw him and the topic of cricket came up, he asked out of politeness if England had won that other game. When I told him it finished a draw he was more than amazed... Shocked, aghast and flabbergasted. Simply couldn't comprehend a game lasting five days without a winner.
That's what Test Cricket is: something so traditional and yet at the same time something so quirky and unique.
That's what makes it so special.
It must be preserved.

Agreed. The most exciting part of cricket is when a team is trying to bowl out the opposition in the last innings. To be able to win bowling second without taking ten wickets isn't really a win.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:50 pm 

I'm beginning to doubt that it can be saved, other than the odd test played almost as a curiosity. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next