THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm 

I remember some debates on here with some people doubting that he would be successful in England.

Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

I still doubt he'll be successful at a club which doesn't already have the likes of De Bruyne, Aguero, and D Silva, and can afford to buy Sane, B Silva and Gabriel Jesus. Plus spend £120 on full-backs. I'll grant that he's made Sterling much more confident, but I don't think he'd be capable of doing a Ranieri and winning the league with a bunch of underdogs, or winning the Champions League with some-one like Porto a la Mourinho.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm 

All I can say is that he was manager of the best team I ever saw (Barca) and he has similar things twice more (Bayern and now City). The guy is a genius.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 pm 

Give him a Morcambe and he'd be shite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:52 pm 

dons50 wrote:
All I can say is that he was manager of the best team I ever saw (Barca) and he has similar things twice more (Bayern and now City). The guy is a genius.

True, but how much of that is down to him and how much of it is down to (1) Barcelona having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime and a young Lionel Messi coming through, (2) Bayern Munich being Bayern Munich who really should be one of the best teams in Europe with their ability to hover up all talented German / Eastern European players, and (3) City being able to spend money on whatever players they want without batting an eyelid.

Would he have been good enough to keep Sunderland up last season? I have no idea. Because he never takes risks with a job that isn't absolutely nailed on to make him look good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:55 pm 

Once could be good fortune. It’s not just th success but the style. He’s tactically ahead of the others.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

True, but how much of that is down to him and how much of it is down to (1) Barcelona having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime and a young Lionel Messi coming through, (2) Bayern Munich being Bayern Munich who really should be one of the best teams in Europe with their ability to hover up all talented German / Eastern European players, and (3) City being able to spend money on whatever players they want without batting an eyelid.

Would he have been good enough to keep Sunderland up last season? I have no idea. Because he never takes risks with a job that isn't absolutely nailed on to make him look good.

But why would he take a job that is beneath him just to prove a point? Do you expect Lionel Messi to sign for a League 2 side to 'prove he can cut it'?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:04 pm 

Toby Carvery wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:

But why would he take a job that is beneath him just to prove a point? Do you expect Lionel Messi to sign for a League 2 side to 'prove he can cut it'?

I don't think anyone says Lionel Messi needs to prove a point (although I would love to see how he fairs in the PL), so that's a ridiculous straw man comparison. There's a difference between a player who has won the Ballon D'Or 5 times signing for Morecombe than for a manager who's only managed three teams signing for a mid-table top division side somewhere. Which, imo, isn't "beneath him". If he does it and succeeds, then fair enough, I wouldn't expect him to do it any more.

To be a top player, you need to play at the top level against the best players. To be a top manager, it's not that simple. There are some great managers who have never managed the likes of Barcelona, Man City and Bayern

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 pm 

The only doubt I have... I'd like to see him remain at a club for some time, and manage the transition from one great team to a second great team (a la Fergie).

But, frankly, that's a minor niggle. The history books will record that he is one of the very best of all time. The bastard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:08 am 

Come and manage MK Dons. Sure he’d have them playing nice football but I’d love to see what sort of players he’d sign at this level on this budget.

Apparently.

UTF