THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:10 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Slight segue, but it was mentioned before that Messi has nothing to prove. I just wonder if the fact that he has only done it at one club would be significant if it had been Ronaldo who had only done that and Messi had won the Ballon d'or playing in England like Ronaldo has. He also did that, scoring 42 goals, as a right-winger, before switching to left wing and then centre forward while at Real Madrid. This all round attacking game: height, strength, pace, trickery, two-footedness, makes him world class both in the air and on the ground, and is the reason why he has led three different teams - Man United, Madrid, and Portugal - to major honours. Whereas Messi, being small and all left foot, while a genius in the Barcelona / Guardiola style, but may not be so flexible and work in as many different ways as Ronaldo. For instance, Argentina have won 14 Copa America's and 2 world cups pre-Messi, but he has so far won no trophies during his dozen years with them; while Portugal had never been to a final pre-Ronaldo and have reached two with him, winning one.
There's no doubt they are both outstanding, and two of the greatest ever players, but I think it would have been interesting to see if Messi would have reached the same levels away from Barcelona or Guardiola and therefore having to adjust his game.

The current Barcelona team under Ernesto Valverde is very 'un-Guardiola' like. They play a compact 4-4-2 and are pretty happy to go spells without the ball... and Messi continues to be a genius.

Also, it's disingenuous to say Ronaldo 'led' Portugal to a major honour. He had a decent - but not amazing - tournament and barely played in the final.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:19 am 

Fair enough. I think you're slightly overstating his contribution, but it's all subjective, innit.

Hey, let's look at what they have in common: two exceptional players and two tax-avoiding wankers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am 

Toby Carvery wrote:
Fair enough. I think you're slightly overstating his contribution, but it's all subjective, innit.
Hey, let's look at what they have in common: two exceptional players and two tax-avoiding wankers.

:D
Good posts. Yip, we'll call it, like their 5-5 Ballon d'or awards, a creditable draw.

Interesting discussion; I enjoyed that little diversion. :)

Whichever is the greatest, we've all been privileged to see two such fantastic players.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Toby Carvery wrote:

:D
Good posts. Yip, we'll call it, like their 5-5 Ballon d'or awards, a creditable draw.

Interesting discussion; I enjoyed that little diversion. :)

Whichever is the greatest, we've all been privileged to see two such fantastic players.

Yep, something to tell the grandchildren.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:13 pm 

Going back on topic, one tactic Guardiola employs, which few others do, is having his full backs stay back, acting like fast centre halves, while at least one centre half goes into midfield. It's something I have sympathy with after an argument with a games teacher in a basketball match that the wider play shouldn't overlap as they had further on run, but everyone should budge up. He wasn't impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:17 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Going back on topic, one tactic Guardiola employs, which few others do, is having his full backs stay back, acting like fast centre halves, while at least one centre half goes into midfield. It's something I have sympathy with after an argument with a games teacher in a basketball match that the wider play shouldn't overlap as they had further on run, but everyone should budge up. He wasn't impressed.

It’s not so much that the full backs stay back but come inside. You often see them flooding central midfield or even the traditional inside forward positions. Tactically he’s one step ahead of everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:21 pm 

dons50 wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

It’s not so much that the full backs stay back but come inside. You often see them flooding central midfield or even the traditional inside forward positions. Tactically he’s one step ahead of everyone else.

Whatever it is I like it

https://blog.wyscout.com/fullbacks-role ... al-system/

Although I also see it's defensive advantages and would make a Shaun Williams centre half invaluable. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:25 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
dons50 wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Whatever it is I like it

Although I also see it's defensive advantages and would make a Shaun Williams centre half invaluable. :D

:D imagine Shaun and John Stones as a partnership

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:53 pm 

dons50 wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
dons50 wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Whatever it is I like it

:D imagine Shaun and John Stones as a partnership

You would be in seventh heaven. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:17 pm 

Nothing to do with Guardiola or Barcelona, but on a similar theme...
I see that Guti is being linked with the Real Madrid job should Zidane be sacked. Like Zidane (and Guardiola at Barcelona) he is currently managing their youth levels and would be a promotion from within.
I don't think Zidane should be sacked, but if he is then I really hope Guti gets it and does well. I absolutely loved watching him as a player and he was terribly underrated by everyone but Madrid themselves (almost 550 games for them).
He had great vision and a wonderful left foot and spread the ball about beautifully in midfield and his creativity was a treat to watch. I dislike Man City and Barcelona, but if he had played for one of those Guardiola teams people would have drooled over his performances.
I would put him as one of the top 5 players I have most enjoyed watching.
Hope he has a great managerial career. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwsmBdL9jR8

This, by Guti, might be my favourite assist ever.