THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 777
I remember some debates on here with some people doubting that he would be successful in England.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 84
I still doubt he'll be successful at a club which doesn't already have the likes of De Bruyne, Aguero, and D Silva, and can afford to buy Sane, B Silva and Gabriel Jesus. Plus spend £120 on full-backs. I'll grant that he's made Sterling much more confident, but I don't think he'd be capable of doing a Ranieri and winning the league with a bunch of underdogs, or winning the Champions League with some-one like Porto a la Mourinho.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 777
All I can say is that he was manager of the best team I ever saw (Barca) and he has similar things twice more (Bayern and now City). The guy is a genius.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:50 pm
Posts: 168
Give him a Morcambe and he'd be shite

_________________
Dippy by name, Dippy by nature


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 84
dons50 wrote:
All I can say is that he was manager of the best team I ever saw (Barca) and he has similar things twice more (Bayern and now City). The guy is a genius.


True, but how much of that is down to him and how much of it is down to (1) Barcelona having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime and a young Lionel Messi coming through, (2) Bayern Munich being Bayern Munich who really should be one of the best teams in Europe with their ability to hover up all talented German / Eastern European players, and (3) City being able to spend money on whatever players they want without batting an eyelid.

Would he have been good enough to keep Sunderland up last season? I have no idea. Because he never takes risks with a job that isn't absolutely nailed on to make him look good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 777
Once could be good fortune. It’s not just th success but the style. He’s tactically ahead of the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm
Posts: 48
BristolDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
All I can say is that he was manager of the best team I ever saw (Barca) and he has similar things twice more (Bayern and now City). The guy is a genius.


True, but how much of that is down to him and how much of it is down to (1) Barcelona having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime and a young Lionel Messi coming through, (2) Bayern Munich being Bayern Munich who really should be one of the best teams in Europe with their ability to hover up all talented German / Eastern European players, and (3) City being able to spend money on whatever players they want without batting an eyelid.

Would he have been good enough to keep Sunderland up last season? I have no idea. Because he never takes risks with a job that isn't absolutely nailed on to make him look good.

But why would he take a job that is beneath him just to prove a point? Do you expect Lionel Messi to sign for a League 2 side to 'prove he can cut it'?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 84
Toby Carvery wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
All I can say is that he was manager of the best team I ever saw (Barca) and he has similar things twice more (Bayern and now City). The guy is a genius.


True, but how much of that is down to him and how much of it is down to (1) Barcelona having Xavi and Iniesta in their prime and a young Lionel Messi coming through, (2) Bayern Munich being Bayern Munich who really should be one of the best teams in Europe with their ability to hover up all talented German / Eastern European players, and (3) City being able to spend money on whatever players they want without batting an eyelid.

Would he have been good enough to keep Sunderland up last season? I have no idea. Because he never takes risks with a job that isn't absolutely nailed on to make him look good.

But why would he take a job that is beneath him just to prove a point? Do you expect Lionel Messi to sign for a League 2 side to 'prove he can cut it'?


I don't think anyone says Lionel Messi needs to prove a point (although I would love to see how he fairs in the PL), so that's a ridiculous straw man comparison. There's a difference between a player who has won the Ballon D'Or 5 times signing for Morecombe than for a manager who's only managed three teams signing for a mid-table top division side somewhere. Which, imo, isn't "beneath him". If he does it and succeeds, then fair enough, I wouldn't expect him to do it any more.

To be a top player, you need to play at the top level against the best players. To be a top manager, it's not that simple. There are some great managers who have never managed the likes of Barcelona, Man City and Bayern


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am
Posts: 689
Each manager has their own style of play which suits different levels of the game. Guardiola might well not be a success at smaller clubs as he has made it clear that he will always stick to his highly technical style of play, which might not suit a squad full of less skilful players. He is brilliant at that one style of play, but it requires the unbelievable calibre of player that he has had at his 3 clubs in order to succeed. Relative success at smaller clubs with less skilful players is usually achieved through a more pragmatic style such as Pulis, Dyche, etc. But I am sure, in turn, that most managers of smaller clubs would not have been as successful with the 3 clubs as Guardiola has been, as successfully managing big clubs, with big players and expectations, is a lot harder than some people acknowledge (which is why the same top-level managers do the rounds of the biggest clubs as they have proven they have what it takes).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardiola
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 am
Posts: 1076
The only doubt I have... I'd like to see him remain at a club for some time, and manage the transition from one great team to a second great team (a la Fergie).

But, frankly, that's a minor niggle. The history books will record that he is one of the very best of all time. The bastard.

_________________
I don't need your ill-informed, half-baked, idiotic opinions. I have plenty of those myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group