THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:32 pm
Posts: 870
BristolDon wrote:
Alby wrote:
BristolDon wrote:
And they're better than Hibs


:lol: :lol:

_________________
Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am
Posts: 669
It's a real shame the state of the modern game. You can make excuses for the technical standard (although a country like Croatia has smaller population than Scotland yet still produces some great players), but there's not much excuse for the entertainment value being as generally poor as it is as you can get entertaining games at all levels, irrespective of money and the overall standard of players.
As we're talking about Scottish games we've seen, one of my most enjoyable ever matches was the Scottish Cup Final when Motherwell beat Dundee United 4-3. Always had a soft spot for the Well and they'd beaten Aberdeen and Celtic en route to the final. Went to the final and they won it in ET. Great day. Both teams managed by the McLean brothers, and got to see the legend that was the sadly late, great Davie Cooper win the cup. May the wee man forever rest in peace.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:32 pm
Posts: 870
Croatia produced a few decent players over the years but I’d wager that their League is shit too. Same as Sweden’s League. And Denmark. Among others.

They have a “shit League” because by comparable standards to a lot of countries they’re a smaller nation with poor funding and poor backing by the appropriate people to make the game better and stronger. Why does nobody ever talk about how crack the Irish League is? Or the Welsh League?

_________________
Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am
Posts: 669
Alby wrote:
Croatia produced a few decent players over the years but I’d wager that their League is shit too. Same as Sweden’s League. And Denmark. Among others.

They have a “shit League” because by comparable standards to a lot of countries they’re a smaller nation with poor funding and poor backing by the appropriate people to make the game better and stronger. Why does nobody ever talk about how crack the Irish Leagues is? Or the Welsh League?

Totally agree about the Welsh and Irish Leagues. I have made reference to that in another thread about Scottish football, about a discussion on whether Rangers and Celtic should join English league. I was saying that if they did, the Scottish league, while being more competitive in terms of the title, would be reduced to the level of the Welsh and Irish Leagues which, as you point out, are much worse than the Scottish League. The problem I have with the Scottish league is not that I am comparing it to richer Leagues from bigger countries, it's just that the standard of it is so much worse than it used to be. In the 80's, Aberdeen and Dundee United were also good and won European competitions. In the 90's and early 2000's Rangers and Celtic went up a level and were competitive in Europe as well as being a joy to watch domestically. Also teams like Motherwell, Hearts, Hibs had good spells domestically. But now it's just Celtic, and even their teams not got the quality of old. And the rest are poor to watch and an embarrassment in Europe. And the national team have also gone backwards in the last 20 years or so as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:32 pm
Posts: 870
I wouldn’t say they’re awful to watch. It depends on your mindset. I follow Hibs as we all know. Have done pretty much my whole life as my Dads a Hibs fan. And it’s always been miserable purely because they were shit and in the shadow of Hearts. The past 5 years (Weirdlt as it includes a dismal relegation season) have been great. And you might not get the quality in Scotland, budget constraints and whatnot but you can’t say there’s not moments that are as dramatic to those who follow Scottish football as the moments we have in English football.

I witnessed Hibs get torn apart by 67 game unbeaten Celtic on Sunday. 2-0 up routine Celtic victory l. Out of nowhere an ex Celtic player pegs one back for Hibs and then an academy graduate equalises out of nowhere. And with pretty much the last kick of the game Celtics keeper drops a ball and Hibs are about to end that historic run but it’s cleared off the line... Madness. And I’d ask anyone to watch the last two Scottish cup finals and tell me they’re awful games...


It’s not a good League. Nobody is more aware of that than the Scottish but I don’t see the obsession with English people always moaning about it. They’re a third rate nation with a third rate League? What’s the surprise? But I can say with great confidence there are some players in Scotland who’d improve us. Jon McGinn at Hibs is better than Ben Reeves imo. Absolute baller. And Jason Cummings now at Forest would’ve been a class signing for us.

I think some of us in England are a tad over doing the praise of League One especially. It’s been a dismal League for a few years now. I can’t tell you the amount of people I know who are Premier League fans, genuine Premier League fans who go to games who watch League One football and think it’s appalling and boring.

_________________
Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan, Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am
Posts: 669
Alby wrote:
I wouldn’t say they’re awful to watch. It depends on your mindset... It’s not a good League. Nobody is more aware of that than the Scottish but I don't see the obsession with English people always moaning about it. They’re a third rate nation with a third rate League? What’s the surprise? But I can say with great confidence there are some players in Scotland who’d improve us. Jon McGinn at Hibs is better than Ben Reeves imo. Absolute baller. And Jason Cummings now at Forest would’ve been a class signing for us.

No, no, I'm mourning not moaning. I'm not criticising the Scottish game from any superior English mindset. I have Scottish relations, spent many happy times up there, and have followed Rangers and Motherwell from afar for a number of years. My frustration with the current state of the domestic and international game is because I want it to get better, and for the top-flight to get back to the higher standards of some previous eras. I've never compared it to the English Leagues, just to its own past. But it's all cyclical and hopefully there'll be another strong era soon.
You're right about McGinn and Cummings. Also Barrie McKay a good signing for Forest, while Celtic have Tierney and Dembele. And Pawlett and Nesbitt look good signings for us at league one level. So there's still some talent there, but to a lesser level and amount than of old and that's all that I'm mourning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:56 am
Posts: 1034
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Alby wrote:
I wouldn’t say they’re awful to watch. It depends on your mindset... It’s not a good League. Nobody is more aware of that than the Scottish but I don't see the obsession with English people always moaning about it. They’re a third rate nation with a third rate League? What’s the surprise? But I can say with great confidence there are some players in Scotland who’d improve us. Jon McGinn at Hibs is better than Ben Reeves imo. Absolute baller. And Jason Cummings now at Forest would’ve been a class signing for us.

No, no, I'm mourning not moaning. I'm not criticising the Scottish game from any superior English mindset. I have Scottish relations, spent many happy times up there, and have followed Rangers and Motherwell from afar for a number of years. My frustration with the current state of the domestic and international game is because I want it to get better, and for the top-flight to get back to the higher standards of some previous eras. I've never compared it to the English Leagues, just to its own past. But it's all cyclical and hopefully there'll be another strong era soon.
You're right about McGinn and Cummings. Also Barrie McKay a good signing for Forest, while Celtic have Tierney and Dembele. And Pawlett and Nesbitt look good signings for us at league one level. So there's still some talent there, but to a lesser level and amount than of old and that's all that I'm mourning.

Your point "I've never compared it to the English Leagues, just to its own past" is the key one for me, and why dragging the Welsh league in to the argument is irrelevent. The Welsh league has always been pony; the Scottish league used to be much better.

Scottish football is further proof that trickle down economics doesn't work and actively harms the majority.

_________________
I don't need your ill-informed, half-baked, idiotic opinions. I have plenty of those myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:39 pm
Posts: 430
All the scottish premiership is missing is rangers being back at their best and 1 of the scottish powerhouses doing well in europe again and being genuine contenders for the uefa cup. The rest of the league will then follow suit and there would be some genuine mystery and excitement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:09 pm
Posts: 1055
Pulis...

FFS, aren't things bad enough already!

_________________
The appearance of a man who stands a better than average chance of being refused entry to a happy hour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rangers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am
Posts: 669
Gers wrote:
Pulis...

FFS, aren't things bad enough already!

His style of play for over 20 years of management is completely unsuited to an old firm team, who have the ball all the time and are expected to win by large margins. On top of that he's a devout catholic. Is there a Rangers equivalent of Martin O'Neill or Tommy Burns they could appoint (i.e. a bigot!)?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group