THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:33 pm 

Bit of fun from the BBC - pick an all time XI (mixed English and Aussies).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41836192

Here's mine:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:00 pm 

Jardine has to be captain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:03 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Jardine has to be captain.

Not an option. Nor was Brearly.

Only batters, all-rounders, spinners and quicks. No-one just as captain.

In my XI I'd have Waugh as skipper.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:10 pm 

I loved watching Gower but he averaged 36 against Australia. Vaughan, Ponting and Compton must be ahead of him.

Agree with most of your others, although Hayden must be close as an opener.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 pm 

Without checking the stats, because that feels like cheating, I'd guess that Alderman would be surprisingly close to making that team ahead of McGrath. Depends whether the series was being played in England or Australia, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:51 pm 

dons50 wrote:
I loved watching Gower but he averaged 36 against Australia. Vaughan, Ponting and Compton must be ahead of him.

Agree with most of your others, although Hayden must be close as an opener.

I have so much strength in-depth in the batting, I chose Gower purely for aesthetic reasons. A brief cameo would be enough.

Seeing him live, in his prime, was a privilege.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
Without checking the stats, because that feels like cheating, I'd guess that Alderman would be surprisingly close to making that team ahead of McGrath. Depends whether the series was being played in England or Australia, I guess.

The site gives their stats but I didn't simply choose based on them. McGrath I chose because he was a bowling machine - just so tight and consistant. Larwood - that raw speed. It couldn't be verified of course but those that saw him play reckoned he hit 100mph. Alderman was our bogey man and although he was good, he wasn't great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:

The site gives their stats but I didn't simply choose based on them. McGrath I chose because he was a bowling machine - just so tight and consistant. Larwood - that raw speed. It couldn't be verified of course but those that saw him play reckoned he hit 100mph. Alderman was our bogey man and although he was good, he wasn't great.

I have a real problem with knowing how to make inter-generational comparisons. WG must have a claim, if you are considering influence on the game, though I suppose parts of his career would have been pre-Ashes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:

I have a real problem with knowing how to make inter-generational comparisons. WG must have a claim, if you are considering influence on the game, though I suppose parts of his career would have been pre-Ashes.

The Beeb only gave limited choices. WG wasn't included unfortunately. I know what you mean about the comparison issue (essentially pre and post TV). But for the old-timers, I went partly on the views of, for example, people like Arlott, when I'd listen to him on TMS when I was young. Far from scientific... but I'd still pay good money to see the XI I chose. Ideally against the West Indies of Viv Richards' era...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:05 pm 

dons50 wrote:

And Pieterson.