The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Favourite cricket XI
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:52 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
dons50 wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
With Pakistan playing today, I was thinking about some of their former players and I really should have found a place in my one-day team for Shahid Afridi.
His big-hitting batting style was erratic, but entertaining to watch for however long it lasted. And his attacking leg spin bowling also made for good viewing and often led to both wickets and runs in one-dayers.

Javed Miandad - horrible bloke but brilliant cricketer
Waqar Younis
Imran Khan
Inzamam Ul Haq

You already had Wasim Akram.

Good choices. :P
I also had Imran Khan in my one-day team as well.
And it was a toss up between Malcolm Marshall and Waqar Younis for my test team. In the end I went for Marshall because at least one of those WI pace bowlers from the 70's-90's needed to be represented.
But that partnership of Wasim and Waqar was probably my favourite all time bowling partnership to watch. Especially when they got the reverse swing going - via legal, or not so legal, ways.

Holding and Marshall or Wasim and Waqar? Difficult choice!

The difference with the West Indies is there was Roberts and Croft in the same team to follow them. Pretty scary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:51 am 

SOUTHSTANDER wrote:
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody
Nobody

Mike Denness x11 surely? 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:04 am 

So these 11 choices are people I would most enjoy watching, not necessarily the greatest (though some are all time greats). I'd pay through the nose to watch this XI:

Desmond Haynes & Gordon Greenidge - got to have them as a job lot. Awesome opening pair.
David Gower - yes, I get all the criticism, but he was a work of art, not a cricketer.
Steve Waugh - the man was a machine.
Ian Botham - I was lucky enough to see him several times in his prime. Always exciting with bat or ball. And a world class slip.
Jack Russell - not the greatest wicket keeper but I loved to watch him.
Shane Warne - probably the greatest player of all time. His bowling was unbelievable.
Malcolm Marshall - wonderful to watch.
Abdul Qadir - no one could read him.
Sir Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose - facing him must have felt like facing machine gun fire.
Jonty Rhodes - purely so I can watch his fielding. Or maybe Paul Collingwood, who glided over the grass when he ran. So let's make Collingwood 12th man.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:17 am 

keyser soze wrote:
So these 11 choices are people I would most enjoy watching, not necessarily the greatest (though some are all time greats). I'd pay through the nose to watch this XI:

Desmond Haynes & Gordon Greenidge - got to have them as a job lot. Awesome opening pair.
David Gower - yes, I get all the criticism, but he was a work of art, not a cricketer.
Ian Botham - I was lucky enough to see him several times in his prime. Always exciting with bat or ball. And a world class slip.
Shane Warne - probably the greatest player of all time. His bowling was unbelievable.
Sir Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose - facing him must have felt like facing machine gun fire.
Jonty Rhodes - purely so I can watch his fielding. Or maybe Paul Collingwood, who glided over the grass when he ran. So let's make Collingwood 12th man.

Not Viv?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:19 am 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Not Viv?

It's just too hard. Maybe Viv for Waugh.

In fact, as Viv signed his autobiography for me, at the Oval, I'll go for him. Sorry Steve.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:25 am 

While we're all feeling nostalgic, the excellent Friends of the Caribbean charity are staging their Caribbean Cricket Family Fun Day & Jerk Festival on July 21st, featuring a Devon Malcolm XI v a Courtney Walsh XI. It's at MK village.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/caribbean-cricket-family-fun-day-jerk-festival-tickets-63433725982

I went to a previous match at Campbell Park; it was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:08 am 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Not Viv?

It's just too hard. Maybe Viv for Waugh.

In fact, as Viv signed his autobiography for me, at the Oval, I'll go for him. Sorry Steve.

Some great players in all of these lists but Viv in his prime was the best batsman I’ve ever watched.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:12 am 

keyser soze wrote:
While we're all feeling nostalgic, the excellent Friends of the Caribbean charity are staging their Caribbean Cricket Family Fun Day & Jerk Festival on July 21st, featuring a Devon Malcolm XI v a Courtney Walsh XI. It's at MK village.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/caribbean-cricket-family-fun-day-jerk-festival-tickets-63433725982

Ah, hadn’t heard of that one. Very tempting.

There’s a bunch of us going to Stony Stratford CC on Friday for a game against the Lashings XI. Looking at the Lashings squad, there should be some great old (& some not so old) players out there.

http://www.stonystratford.gov.uk/whats- ... icket-club

http://www.lashings-worldxi.co.uk/players

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:14 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
keyser soze wrote:

Ah, hadn’t heard of that one. Very tempting.

There’s a bunch of us going to Stony Stratford CC on Friday for a game against the Lashings XI. Looking at the Lashings squad, there should be some great old (& some not so old) players out there.

http://www.stonystratford.gov.uk/whats- ... icket-club

http://www.lashings-worldxi.co.uk/players

That looks a lot of fun. Might have to bunk off work early and get there for the T20.

And Chris Lewis is playing! Don't know if he's still got the length, but bet he has no trouble with line(s)!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:49 am 

Some of these are all time greats, others just favourites

Colin Milburn - at his best, simply amazing. Remember him hitting Wes Hall for 6 into the top tier of the stand at Lords at about 20 past 6 on a gloomy evening after England had been in for around 10 mins.
Len Hutton - Yorkshire grit.
Viv Richards - nuff said.
Gary Sobers. - 1 batsman, 3 bowlers
Ken Barrington - the gutsiest batsman. Not stylish but incredibly hard to get out.
Ian Botham - world class bowler. Wonderful forcing batsman.
Richard Hadlee - another world class all rounder
Godfrey Evans - wicket keeper extraordinaire and VERY big hitter
Malcolm Marshall - pace!
Jim Laker - 19 wickets in one test match. Incomparable off spinner
Sam Cook - Gloucester slow left armer. Only played once for England but was still playing at the age of 50 for county. Wonderful guile, control and accuracy. I saw him limit Nril Harvey to 20 runs all afternoon on flat pitch at Bristol and get him in the end. Best spell of spin bowling I have ever seen. Also probably the worst batsman in the world!