The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Bury
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Don Direction wrote:
Does Steve Dale still own them?

He seems to, yes. Another article I read pushing for them to be in league two also glossed over that issue but it seemed to imply that he'd again promised he still intended to sell them.
That's another reason why I don't think they should start in league two - along with the fact I believe they should remain demoted for their actions - they're still in no better position to give any guarantees of their financial security for next season either. Even if Dale does sell them, we don't yet know who to and if they pass the fit and proper persons test, and have the money to run Bury competently or if they'll carry on having the same issues that they and Bolton have been having in the last 12 months.
Some people seem to be arguing: guarantee Bury EFL status for next season and that'll maybe help them rebuild. But I think the reverse should happen: it should be up to Bury to prove themselves financially stable and secure before any suggestion of renewing their EFL status.

Maybe they could add a condition that he has to sell them (and to someone who passes fit and proper and has proof of funds etc).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:20 pm 

If Bury were allowed back in league 2, then that is setting a dangerous precedent, what’s stopping other teams overreaching their budgets in pursuit of promotion? knowing that if it all goes wrong it will only mean starting back in league 2 again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:07 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Does Steve Dale still own them?

That latest statement certainly reads like one of his. I imagine he drafted it in crayon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:08 am 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/september/request-to-our-former-fellow-clubs/

I disagree with most of that, and personally think Bury should start outside the EFL, at level 5 at the least.
However, football's an emotive sport, people love a little club / underdog sob story, and we live in an age where online protests and campaigns gather momentum and get results, so I fully expect that Bury will get their way and will be in league two next season.
I wouldn't agree with it, but that's what I expect to happen.

There’s an article somewhere that 60 clubs are completely against the idea, with L2 clubs ‘aggresively’ against it. I wouldn’t be too sure.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm 

Bury lose their appeal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... o-football

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:21 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:

The MP for Bury North, James Frith, who endorsed the Rescue Board’s request, said on Twitter: “Devastating to hear self-interest was served cold by many EFL clubs today & their decision to relegate one less from League Two than admit Bury to League. Thank you to all those who spoke in support of it.”

Mate, you can’t just wander back into league 2 like nothing has happened, it would be encouraging other clubs to follow in the ridiculous footsteps of Bury FC. Down the leagues you go, ta ra chuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:12 pm 

This saga continues, but more positively!

After Bury FC were expelled from the league and not allowed to enter the National League it looked like they were dead and buried, only being held to life by the stubbornness of their owner, the fans started a new club with the imaginative name of Bury AFC.

Fast forward a few years and the two clubs are now merging, and they'll be playing at Gigg Lane once again.

They're still technically in administration and have to come up from the North West Counties Premier Division (9th tier), but I'm quite glad that they've got a way to recover from that horrible asset stripper.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-27057656

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:15 pm 

Meanwhile, the Wigan ownership issue keeps dragging on.

Current owners keep missing payments and making false promises, leading to the 14 point deductions (6 last season, 8 so far for 23/24).

Supporters club demanded they sell. It broke last night that they had agreed to do so, subject to EFL approval. But now it transpires the bidder is the 21 year old who's been trying to buy Morecambe - and big questions about how much money he actually has and where it's come from, and the legitimacy of his energy drink businesses...

https://twitter.com/SSTInvesting/status/1621729803463233536

It's like a football version of Rich Energy in F1. :lol: