THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: England Under-17s
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:27 pm 

Just won the World Cup, coming back from 2-0 down to win 5-2.
Glad I decided to watch this rather than trek down to Bristol.

Post subject: Re: England Under-17s
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:29 pm 

Even more young English talent doomed to end up sitting on sub-benches watching foreign players pinch their rightful places. :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:36 pm 

donmentor wrote:
Even more young English talent doomed to end up sitting on sub-benches watching foreign players pinch their rightful places. :(

Send them out on loan!
But I fear you are correct.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:08 pm 

So we currently hold the U20s World Cup, the U19s European Championship, and the U17s World Cup. If we aren't looking like World Cup contenders by the 2026 World Cup, something's gone seriously amiss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
So we currently hold the U20s World Cup, the U19s European Championship, and the U17s World Cup. If we aren't looking like World Cup contenders by the 2026 World Cup, something's gone seriously amiss

See above.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 pm 

donmentor wrote:
BristolDon wrote:

See above.

donmentor wrote:

Fundamentally disagree with that. A higher calibre of players in the league will mean that these English players will work hard to get into the starting line-up (competition is good, surely), and those that make it willl play in a higher standard league, which will mean they improve more. The issue doesn't get fixed with limiting the number of foreign players in a team, it gets fixed with limiting the number of domestic players who aren't making the team - either they improve enough to get into the starting line-up, or they move to a different club. The worst-case scenario is that there are barely any English players in the Premier League and most move to the Championship, but then what's the difference between the Championship in this scenario and a Premier League with a restricted number of foreign players?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:10 pm 

The so called 'big' clubs do not see our youngsters as glamorous as a foreign 'name'. So they are not competing on a level field.

There are only very few who, such as Delli, who are given a chance to show their capability at the top level.

The rest are just left to rot in the shadows, like Martin at Liverpool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:18 pm 

donmentor wrote:
The so called 'big' clubs do not see our youngsters as glamorous as a foreign 'name'. So they are not competing on a level field.

There are only very few who, such as Delli, who are given a chance to show their capability at the top level.

The rest are just left to rot in the shadows, like Martin at Liverpool.

Okay, so if we limit the number of "foreign names", surely those that are given a chance in their absence are no longer showing their capability at the top level, but at a reduced level (which they could do already by chosing by playing in the EFL or for a lower PL team.) More young players need to understand the benefit of first team football at a Championship club as opposed to being back-up and not getting much game time at a big team.

I guess we could ask why the youngsters are choosing to go to big teams so early - we need to either make this unappealing (but introducing wage caps etc. will also ruin the competitiveness of the league), or make the EFL more appealing (maybe stating a minimum number of first-team minutes per month etc. to be considered for an England cap?). The other option which I like is to limit the number of English players in a team that don't make the first team - saying clubs can only sign x number of English players under the age of y years old would mean that you'll see less English players moving to clubs to be benchwarmers on higher wages

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:21 pm 

I just wonder when (and I’d better add if) we leave the EU a cap on foreign players could be introduced.

We are not giving these young lads a chance to develop, its like we need instant success at club level and instead of bringing the youngsters on, its easier to go out and buy some foreign johnny for stupid money.

They showed enormous determination and character to come back from 2 down, against a very good Spanish team, I was very impressed, that pass for goal number 5 was just sublime....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:26 pm 

Radical idea: if we want English youngsters to get more game time at a competitive level, could allowing reserve teams into the EFL (but with strict foreign player limits) be a way to go about this? It would mean that we could see matches such as MK Dons vs Everton Reserves, which doesn't sound very appealing, but could give young players the game time they need to develop while still allowing them to move to big teams? It's all very easy to impose limits that reduce the quality of a league that we don't support (I know most of us watch the premier league, but I know I don't get anywhere near as excited / depressed as I do watching that vs watching the Dons), but how would we feel about prioritising the national team over our own team?