THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Assistant referee flag
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:36 pm 

I never new that the offside flag was signalled at a different height depending on who is offside, until reading about it just now:- :oops:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 188756.stm

I assume everyone else knew?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:09 pm 

Pity some of the assistants we have don't know the offside rule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 am 

I thought it was obvious, lower for the closest third of the pitch, middle height for the middle and high up if it's over the other side.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 am 

I didn't know that (but my knowledge of the rules etc. was frozen about 1971!); however, it makes sense. I'll look out for that now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm 
I never knew this, and never noticed the different heights just assumed it was a lazy lino that didn't erect his flag mast fully.

There are quite a few intricate/quirky laws of the game I've come across:

The most obscure rule I've heard is that if someone takes a direct free kick and it somehow ends up in the team's own goal, a corner is awarded to the other team instead of a goal. Weird.

Also, if the taker of a direct free kick contacts the ball again after he has taken it, but before any other player has touched it, then the other team are awarded an indirect free kick. E.g. if a player took a direct free kick, it hit the post and then the same player contacted the ball before anyone else. Also weird.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
I never knew this, and never noticed the different heights just assumed it was a lazy lino that didn't erect his flag mast fully.

There are quite a few intricate/quirky laws of the game I've come across:

The most obscure rule I've heard is that if someone takes a direct free kick and it somehow ends up in the team's own goal, a corner is awarded to the other team instead of a goal. Weird.

Also, if the taker of a direct free kick contacts the ball again after he has taken it, but before any other player has touched it, then the other team are awarded an indirect free kick. E.g. if a player took a direct free kick, it hit the post and then the same player contacted the ball before anyone else. Also weird.

It's the same for a penalty I think, and a corner, and any dead ball situation as far as I'm aware