THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Italian football
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:55 am 

Growing up I loved Italian football, I remember watching football Italia on Channel 4. I was the era of Maldini, Shevchenko, Davids, Del Piero, Nesta, Crespo, Nedved etc. But since the World Cup success the domestic sides and real talent coming through have faded a lot.

Juve have been dominant for years now, but Roma and Napoli were a joy to watch last year and both had relative success. The Milan big spending failed quickly, but Inter look like they mean business again with their signings.

Now Ronaldo goes to Italy. Could this be a catalyst for an interest in the league, and the chasing pack stepping up. Or will it lead to pure Juve dominance. Will his presence mess up the spirit of Juve due to the fanair around him, insane wages and likely disruption to a successful system.

I'm rather intrigued. Do any of you care or will you care more now? Got to admit I'm happy he didn't come back to England, I think it's ballsy going to Italy for a few years to see what he can do.

Post subject: Re: Italian football
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 am 

No mention of Gascoigne?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
dons50 wrote:
No mention of Gascoigne?

He would have made chapter two of my thesis on Italian football, but I had to cut it short for Alby's benefit. :)
Besides, my best memories of Gazza were in a Rangers and England shirt.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
but I had to cut it short

That was short :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm 

I'm afraid my experience of Italian football back in the early seventies when I was working in Turin was pretty dire. I went to watch Juventus twice and that was enough. At no time in either game did any player on either side manage more than a gentle trot. 1-0 and 0-0 ensured I didn't trouble their turnstiles anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37 pm 
Like you, I enjoyed that 'era' of Italian football, but feel its gained itself a bit of a reputation now for being defensively/tactically sound, but not very entertaining football. Spanish football has definitely taken over the slot that Italian football once had, and I will generally watch whatever Barca/Real Madrid game is on each Saturday/Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:25 am 

15 years ago I was a fan of Italian football, I was very much in favor of Milan football club. Now I watch less football, but during the world Cup 2018, hooked on one site where there are results and statistics of matches around the world, the site gives the opportunity to follow the English Premier League https://777score.co.uk/football/tournam ... r-league-2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:20 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Like you, I enjoyed that 'era' of Italian football, but feel its gained itself a bit of a reputation now for being defensively/tactically sound, but not very entertaining football. Spanish football has definitely taken over the slot that Italian football once had, and I will generally watch whatever Barca/Real Madrid game is on each Saturday/Sunday.

I think it’s cliche almost. Some of the best games I watched were Italian league games.

Apparently.

UTF