The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Darts
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:53 pm 

Plum wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Plum wrote:
I'm much more of a Snooker fan, where the crowd are expected to stay silent apart from applaud for things like good shots or centuries.

I'm not a fan of the introduction on the Snooker circuit of the Shoot Out - where they just have a ten-minute frame per match with a shot clock and a very raucous, drunk crowd. It's very Darts-like, but it's just the antithesis of Snooker for me.

The only good thing about it is because a lot of the top players don't bother taking part, they invite some of the highly rated teenagers who aren't on the circuit so it's a good opportunity for them and for fans to see them.

But the atmosphere - drunk, rowdy crowd shouting loudly, even on shots - is just the opposite of how Snooker is meant to be.

I've managed to get tickets for the Crucible next year with my dad. We both thought we better make sure we get there once before Uncle Barry ships the whole thing off to Saudi!

Sad reason, but very good thinking.
Hope you enjoy it. I seem to remember you like Shaun Murphy? Hope you get to see a player you enjoy watching, anyway. Either way, should be a great day out at the Crucible.

Well done on getting tickets. Ive tried on numerous occasions and got no where near getting any. It will be a loss if the Crucible is no longer used but by all accounts, its a bit of a shithole and doesnt hold enough spectators, hence the difficulty in getting tickets. They can smarten the place up a bit, thats no big deal but making it bigger is more or less a no starter so its no surprise that moving it is seeming inevitable. I would rather it didnt go to Saudi but there must be comparable venues available? The new coop Live in Manchester for instance.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:21 pm 

Magpie wrote:
Well done on getting tickets. Ive tried on numerous occasions and got no where near getting any. It will be a loss if the Crucible is no longer used but by all accounts, its a bit of a shithole and doesnt hold enough spectators, hence the difficulty in getting tickets. They can smarten the place up a bit, thats no big deal but making it bigger is more or less a no starter so its no surprise that moving it is seeming inevitable. I would rather it didnt go to Saudi but there must be comparable venues available? The new coop Live in Manchester for instance.

It's felt like the long term intent for some time has been to try and get interest in Asia and then sell / move the sport there. Barry Hearn's a pretty ruthless businessman anyway, and Eddie Hearn has said how Boxing is his sport, and Snooker's much more his dad's thing.

If the long term aim was to keep it in UK, then I'd have expected much more of a vocal concern / active push from them over the years to try and address the declining Snooker clubs here. Instead, most of the push has been about getting it taking off more and more in Asia.

Allowing Saudi Arabia to just 'buy' a new 4th Major - that was previously the much coveted Triple Crown events that had history and prestige - signalled exactly what Barry Hearn outright confirmed in his interview at this years World Championship: that money talks, and way outweighs history and tradition. And how the Asia market want to buy the biggest events straight away, and why shouldn't they when they're investing the big money, etc? He freely stated all this and dismissed any suggestions otherwise from the likes of Davis and Doherty (I think it was). So getting the World Championship away from Sheffield is the hard thing from a PR point of view - once they've done that, I doubt they'll move it to another UK venue. It'll just be the inevitable moving of it to China or Saudi Arabia that's been on the cards for ages.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 pm 

Plum wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Leighton wrote:
Has the tribalism and football-isation of it contributed to its success though?

Have to say I quite like the crowd's antics on the telly and it's interesting to watch the player's response / using the crowd

Having said that I am not a darts purist so I'm swept up by the occasion when I watch it

To an extent, yes. Like anything good in life, it's a question of balance.

Good atmosphere and getting behind the players is great - I've done the Matchplay at Blackpool twice and it can be electric there. Unfortunately, that does come with a downside: dickheads on the gear, people singing the same 3/4 songs over and over, and (the one I hate the most) idiots whistling to put players off.

Unfortunately post-COVID the balance has tipped over a bit too far, although the Masters at the arena is normally pretty good. I've been every year bar one and this year was the best I can remember.

Yeah the whistling is terrible. Anything like that I am not a fan of and over drink idiots aren't welcome anywhere!

Think I'll go to the next one at the arena

I'm much more of a Snooker fan, where the crowd are expected to stay silent apart from applaud for things like good shots or centuries.

I'm not a fan of the introduction on the Snooker circuit of the Shoot Out - where they just have a ten-minute frame per match with a shot clock and a very raucous, drunk crowd. It's very Darts-like, but it's just the antithesis of Snooker for me.

The only good thing about it is because a lot of the top players don't bother taking part, they invite some of the highly rated teenagers who aren't on the circuit so it's a good opportunity for them and for fans to see them.

But the atmosphere - drunk, rowdy crowd shouting loudly, even on shots - is just the opposite of how Snooker is meant to be.

I can imagine it's like being in the noisy end of a football stadium

Is there an option at darts for a quieter but like in football?

If not I think I'll continue enjoying it on telly where the drunken noise adds to the telly experience but doesn't annoy me (like it would.in person)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:54 am 

Littler vs humphries is box office! Luke littler has hit 4 9 darters this season. Astonishing.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:02 am 

Beardhidesboy64 wrote:
Littler vs humphries is box office! Luke littler has hit 4 9 darters this season. Astonishing.

The darts last night was fantastic! They are clearly the two to beat at the moment

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:53 am 

Absolutely brilliant. The pub went mad when the 9 darter went in.

And to think I said the PL would be too much for him. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:13 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

You weren't alone in that view. I still think he needs careful management and guidance in the next couple of years to avoid any potential burn out, leading to n Adrian Lewis style fall away from the top, but it looks like he has that support network in place. If he's that good at 17, how many of Phil Taylor's records could he potentially break if he has the motivation to keep playing and keep winning titles?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:05 pm 

midland don wrote:
Lieutenant Dan wrote:

You weren't alone in that view. I still think he needs careful management and guidance in the next couple of years to avoid any potential burn out, leading to n Adrian Lewis style fall away from the top, but it looks like he has that support network in place. If he's that good at 17, how many of Phil Taylor's records could he potentially break if he has the motivation to keep playing and keep winning titles?

The fatigue will ensure he doesn't beat Taylor's WC, Grand Prix and Matchplay records for me. The distances and events he's already doing is far more than the Taylor years.

Plus the competing standard and what's likely coming up in future years.