THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: England Squad
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:25 pm 

I think the Henderson decision is confusing.

Firstly, I don't think he's good enough to be in the squad anymore. His age plus moving to Saudi and then Ajax knocks him down the pecking order further. But what I don't understand is making this decision so close to the tournament. Southgate has been extremely loyal to to him and right so. If after the WC we saw him stop selecting Henderson to push through Gallagher or even Phillips I'd understand, but making this call now seems quite odd - I'm not complaining as I think it is the right call. I only really see Gallagher as a natural 8 unless Southgate does to very attacking with Foden and Bellingham as two 10's

The lack of number 8 or Rice replacement concerns me. As down the left side of defence. Frustrating that in an era where we have Walker, Trippier, James and Trent in the squad, as well as players like Cash and Lamptey who have opted to play for other nations, we only have one real injury prone LB.

After this tournament I think it's time for Brainthwaite and Stone to start in defence.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:32 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
I think the Henderson decision is confusing.

Firstly, I don't think he's good enough to be in the squad anymore. His age plus moving to Saudi and then Ajax knocks him down the pecking order further. But what I don't understand is making this decision so close to the tournament. Southgate has been extremely loyal to to him and right so. If after the WC we saw him stop selecting Henderson to push through Gallagher or even Phillips I'd understand, but making this call now seems quite odd - I'm not complaining as I think it is the right call. I only really see Gallagher as a natural 8 unless Southgate does to very attacking with Foden and Bellingham as two 10's

The lack of number 8 or Rice replacement concerns me. As down the left side of defence. Frustrating that in an era where we have Walker, Trippier, James and Trent in the squad, as well as players like Cash and Lamptey who have opted to play for other nations, we only have one real injury prone LB.

After this tournament I think it's time for Brainthwaite and Stone to start in defence.

I suspect he will play Mainoo alongside Rice. The only problem is that probably leaves Palmer out.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:35 pm 

dons50 wrote:
I suspect he will play Mainoo alongside Rice. The only problem is that probably leaves Palmer out.

I'd personally be surprised. Less than 30 career starts to his name and in a terrible United team. He does look a tidy player, but can't help but feel he's getting the United youth overhype treatment a little here.

Also has Southgate ever thrown anyone straight into a tournament squad like this? I don't think Phillips had a huge amount of games before Euro 2020, but from what I vaguely remember most are phased into the squad rather than thrown in

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:41 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
dons50 wrote:

I'd personally be surprised. Less than 30 career starts to his name and in a terrible United team. He does look a tidy player, but can't help but feel he's getting the United youth overhype treatment a little here.

Also has Southgate ever thrown anyone straight into a tournament squad like this? I don't think Phillips had a huge amount of games before Euro 2020, but from what I vaguely remember most are phased into the squad rather than thrown in

Yeah, I can't see Mainoo starting. I think it'll be Rice and Gallaghar in midfield, with Foden, Kane and Bellingham as the front 3.

Our defensive options definitely worry me. I'd liked to have seen Deir and Tomori called up.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:42 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Harry Maguire only had 5 England caps before he was thrown in at the World Cup 2018, and was one of our best players. This isn't totally unheard of from Southgate

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:18 am 

From those selected, I wouldn't be against England playing a 4-1-4-1. Rice sitting, with a 4 of Palmer, Foden, Bellingham and Saka interchanging behind Kane. That sounds a trifle scary!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 am 

SteelbackDon wrote:
From those selected, I wouldn't be against England playing a 4-1-4-1. Rice sitting, with a 4 of Palmer, Foden, Bellingham and Saka interchanging behind Kane. That sounds a trifle scary!

There is absolutely zero chance Southgate is starting Foden and Palmer in the same team.

Like most of his squads, I dont really disagree with the choices although perhaps maybe including Tomori. How he sets it up with cautiion being the philosophy will be the issue along with his inability to make a change when required.

This squad is good enough to at least be considered as a contender to win it so hopefully he can find a team and a system to maximise the benefits of Bellingham, Foden, Rice, Saka and Kane.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:07 am 

Magpie wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:

There is absolutely zero chance Southgate is starting Foden and Palmer in the same team.

Like most of his squads, I dont really disagree with the choices although perhaps maybe including Tomori. How he sets it up with cautiion being the philosophy will be the issue along with his inability to make a change when required.

This squad is good enough to at least be considered as a contender to win it so hopefully he can find a team and a system to maximise the benefits of Bellingham, Foden, Rice, Saka and Kane.

Trust me, if you'd seen any of the football Tomori has played this season, you wouldn't be saying that. I'd be surprised if he's still a starter at Milan next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:10 am 

DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Magpie wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:

Trust me, if you'd seen any of the football Tomori has played this season, you wouldn't be saying that. I'd be surprised if he's still a starter at Milan next year.

Ive seen him play a good few times and I thought he did pretty well in a pretty ordinary Milan side?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:18 am 

Magpie wrote:
DonnieAndMooie wrote:
Magpie wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:

Ive seen him play a good few times and I thought he did pretty well in a pretty ordinary Milan side?

In seasons gone by, yes, he's performed very well and probably at one point deserved to be involved with England. But this season, there's been big defensive problems at Milan and he's been a part of that. Despite finishing 2nd, they've conceded more goals than any other side in the top half (except Napoli). Looks like their manager, Pioli, will be sacked and I would expect a major rebuild of their back line this summer.

Sorry, I'm a bit of an Italian football geek :D