All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cricket Summer 2021
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:40 pm 

Couldn’t hang on :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:10 am 

dons50 wrote:

Although the batting clearly wasn't good enough in the second innings, the game was really lost in the second half of the morning session when we let India get away from us. Not really sure what the plan was supposed to be, but it didn't work

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:33 am 

midland don wrote:
dons50 wrote:

Although the batting clearly wasn't good enough in the second innings, the game was really lost in the second half of the morning session when we let India get away from us. Not really sure what the plan was supposed to be, but it didn't work

That was dreadful. Although Shami putting a six into the middle tier of the Grandstand was cool.

Good atmosphere there yesterday, well worth the 20 quid. I'd say there was about 20,000 in, and England and Indian support was about half and half.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:07 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
midland don wrote:
dons50 wrote:

That was dreadful. Although Shami putting a six into the middle tier of the Grandstand was cool.

Good atmosphere there yesterday, well worth the 20 quid. I'd say there was about 20,000 in, and England and Indian support was about half and half.

Michael Holding's view was along the lines of - why isn't Jimmy Anderson bowling? He's been too good for Kohli so he'll be too good for Shami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:46 am 

midland don wrote:
dons50 wrote:

I didn’t watch the morning session but reading the reports it looks like we tried to bounce them out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:30 pm 

dons50 wrote:
midland don wrote:
dons50 wrote:

I didn’t watch the morning session but reading the reports it looks like we tried to bounce them out.

Spread the field, men on the boundary. It was painful to watch as an England fan. Fair play to India, and Shami in particular, but tactically Joe Root got it all wrong.

I agree with Michael Vaughan, it's worrying that we rely on Joe Root so much with the bat. Sure he's a class act and you expect him to be contributing well to the score, but the rest of the team need to step up too. Nearly 30% of the team runs in the past year scored by Root shows the problems we have in the team. In one of the New Zealand tests the man who looked most comfortable with the bat other than the skipper was Mark Wood, which is very worrying, not just for this series but also for the winter Ashes tour. Things aren't going to get any easier!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:55 am 

Thought I'd just add to this... Leicestershire are currently as I write 719/4. Highest ever team total, beating 701/4 scored in 1906. Highest ever partnership of 447 and counting...

All after losing Azad first ball of the innings!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:57 am 

Colin Ackermann is on 265 not out. LCCC's highest individual score is 309 by HD Ackermann. Has the highest score (if he gets there) ever been replaced by a namesake?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:15 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:
Thought I'd just add to this... Leicestershire are currently as I write 719/4. Highest ever team total, beating 701/4 scored in 1906. Highest ever partnership of 447 and counting...

In their next match, Leicestershire batted first and scored 584 - and still managed to lose the game by an innings! :lol:
Glamorgan racking up 795-5 declared - Sam Northeast scoring 410 not out - and Leicestershire were then skittled out for just 183 in the last two sessions of the match to lose by an innings and 23 runs. Unsurprisingly, it's thought to be the highest first innings score by a team who lost by an innings.

And to think I was disappointed with Worcestershire losing by 98 after having a first innings lead of 50 :lol:

As a Worcestershire fan I'd really rather pretend that this summer didn't happen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:45 am 

midland don wrote:
SteelbackDon wrote:

In their next match, Leicestershire batted first and scored 584 - and still managed to lose the game by an innings! :lol:
Glamorgan racking up 795-5 declared - Sam Northeast scoring 410 not out - and Leicestershire were then skittled out for just 183 in the last two sessions of the match to lose by an innings and 23 runs. Unsurprisingly, it's thought to be the highest first innings score by a team who lost by an innings.

And to think I was disappointed with Worcestershire losing by 98 after having a first innings lead of 50 :lol:

As a Worcestershire fan I'd really rather pretend that this summer didn't happen

Yeah, looking at the 2nd Division table, that poor defeat to Derby makes a huge difference - a win and you'd have been well in the mix for the 2nd promotion spot.
As a Lancs fan, the season is going much better than I expected - although losing the T20 Blast Final by 1 run was a real blow.
Now onto the complete lottery of the Royal London Cup - played with weakened squads and little media coverage while the circus that is The Hundred gets all the best players and media attention. :roll:

You were one of the two matches we won in the T20 blast, which was a major shock to me as I was expecting another heavy defeat in that one.

Our batting for a few seasons hasn't been anywhere near good enough. It's only because D'Oliveira was in good form at the start of the season that we could even have been considered as potentially in the mix in the county championship. Moeen is off to Warwickshire (although his age and the fact he is rarely available to play for us due to IPL, Hundred, England duty, etc. means that's not a great loss now), and Ed Barnard is going there too (good player so much more of a loss), and I wonder if that has influenced why we were so poor in T20. We have however signed Adam Hose from the enemy for the next 3 seasons, so hopefully he'll be spraying it to all parts!

I'm with you on the Hundred. I felt they should have had a re-launch of the T20 Blast rather than this new competition that effectively downgrades the only domestic 50 over competition we have into a secondary event with all of the best players missing. How do we pick a decent ODI side in the future when the best white ball players don't play the format?